At the January meeting of the Board of Trustees:
Approved the minutes of Committee of the Whole, January 17, 2023.
Including information about the wrap up of the Board’s 2020-23 Strategic Plan and next steps in formulating a new strategic plan. Director McDonald shared that consultation with students, staff, RCPIC members, and the community will begin in the form of surveys in February. As well, an in-person session and planning workshop will be held. Details pertaining to the continued direction of the Board will be shared in the coming months and formalized by the Board of Trustees in June, in preparation for the new school year.
Received the draft 2023/2024 School Year Calendars
Trustees received draft 2023/24 school year calendars. It is important to understand that these are DRAFT Calendars and until they have been approved by the Ministry of Education, plans and decisions should not be made based on them. The Board expects approval from the Ministry mid-May.
Link to DRAFT elementary school year calendar.
Link to DRAFT secondary school year calendar.
Discussed the upcoming BHNCDSB School Boundary Review
Many areas of BHNCDSB have experienced significant growth which is expected to continue into the foreseeable future. Much of this growth has exceeded the Board’s anticipated growth rate. Many of the impacted schools currently operating at or above 100% capacity and have numerous portables on site. Continued local development, within the impacted school areas, are expected to yield a considerable number of new families joining the Board putting further pressure on the capacity of our schools. This has prompted the initiation of a School Attendance Boundary Review.
A School Attendance Boundary Review is led by an Attendance Boundary Review Committee (ABRC). The ABRC will work collaboratively and provide feedback and recommendations that will inform the final decision made by the Board of Trustees on boundary changes within the reviewed area.
On December 20, 2022, the Board of Trustees of the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board approved the commencement of the following School Boundary Reviews:
Southwest Brantford (Elementary) beginning in January 2023 and involving
- St. Basil Catholic Elementary School
- St. Gabriel Catholic Elementary School
- St. Theresa Catholic Elementary School
City of Brantford (Elementary) beginning in Spring 2023, involving all elementary schools in the City of Brantford except those involved in the Southwest Brantford review.
County of Brant (Elementary) beginning in Fall 2023, involving:
- Blessed Sacrament Catholic Elementary School (Burford)
- Holy Family Catholic Elementary School (Paris)
- Sacred Heart Catholic Elementary School (Paris)
Haldimand County (Elementary) in 2023/24, involving:
- New Caledonia Catholic Elementary School, scheduled to open in September 2025
- Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School (Caledonia)
- St. Mary’s Catholic Elementary School (Hagersville)
- St. Michael’s Catholic Elementary School (Dunnville)
- St. Patrick’s Catholic Elementary School (Caledonia)
- St. Stephen’s Catholic Elementary School (Cayuga)
Board-wide Secondary school review in 2023/24 for all Catholic Secondary schools in the Board, including the new North Brantford Catholic Secondary School, schedule to open in September 2026.
The Board will be working closely with school administrators, the Regional Catholic Parent Involvement Committee, and the community on these reviews.
Once the reviews begin, individuals will be able to access scheduled meetings, minutes, agendas, and other information pertaining to the reviews on the Board’s website. Details and links will also be shared on Board social media platforms.
Celebrated St. John’s College Winning Silver in the OCSTA Short Video Contest!
Congratulations to St. John’s College! The school placed 2nd in the OCSTA short video contest celebrating We Are Many, We Are One, the theme of Catholic Education Week, May 2023.
BHNCDSB Awards – Nominations Open reminder
Do you know a distinguished Catholic school graduate or someone who has made an outstanding contribution to Catholic education? If so, consider nominating them for one of our Trustee awards! The Distinguished Catholic School Graduate and Outstanding Contribution to Catholic Education awards are recognized annually at the Catholic Student Leadership Award Ceremony and provide the Board with the opportunity to recognize two community members who continue to live a life of love and service.
For more information about the awards, and a nomination package, visit the Board’s Awards webpage.
Upcoming Events and Meetings
Just some of the events and meetings BHNCDSB will be acknowledging and celebrating:
- February is Black History Month
- School Guard Crossing Appreciation Month
- Kindergarten and Secondary registration continues
- February 2, 2023 1:00 pm Faith Advisory Committee Meeting
- February 7, 2023 4:00 pm Policy Committee Meeting
- February 15, 2023 3:00 pm Executive Council Meeting
- February 21, 2023 1:00 pm Special Education Advisory Committee Meeting
- February 21, 2023 7:00 pm Committee of the Whole Meeting
- February 22, 2023 7:00 pm Regional Catholic Parent Involvement Committee Meeting
- February 28, 2023 9:00 am Student Transportation Services BHN Meeting
- February 28, 2023 1:15 pm Accessibility Steering Committee Meeting
- February 28, 2023 7:00 pm Board Meeting
If you have comments about our From the Boardroom publication, please reach out to Communication Services.