School Within A College (SWAC)
School Within A College is a Dual Credit program providing senior secondary students the opportunity to try out post-secondary education at a college campus while completing a high school diploma. It is an option for students who are not comfortable in the high school environment, or students who want to recover credits in order to graduate with their class, or students who wish to pursue a college pathway.
In this type of program, secondary school courses are taught by secondary school teachers, and college dual credit courses are taught by college professors or instructors, within a collaborative learning community on a college campus. These programs are aimed at disengaged and underachieving students who have left school before graduating. Students must be in at least one dual credit course each semester.
A SWAC program may be delivered in a variety of ways. For example, in some models, students generally participate in a comprehensive program at a college five days a week for one or two semesters (some may participate for only one semester). They spend most of the first semester working on secondary school courses (including courses they may be taking through credit recovery), along with one dual credit course on “college readiness” taught by a college professor or instructor. In the second semsester, students take one or more college dual credit course(s) of their choosing, as well as additional secondary school course(s). Other models may be organized differently.
In all SWAC programs, dual credit teachers provide supervision and support, including instruction in literacy, learning skills, and work habits. Teachers also assist students in accessing support from the college and the school board as needed.
SWAC programs are available to BHNCDSB students and will allow eligible students to:
- Attend a semester at Fanshawe College (Simcoe Campus)
- Complete the required Ontario Secondary School Diploma with the help of a Secondary Dual Credit Teacher
- Take College Courses in –
- Media: Computer Software Applications & Introduction to Audio, Fitness and Wellness or Child Development: The Early Years ECE through Conestoga (Brantford Campus)
- Fitness and Wellness, Success Strategies in Health, or Self and Others for PSW through Fanshawe College (Simcoe Campus)
- Introduction to Welding, Introduction to Construction, Automotive, Computer Application for Business, or Introduction to Post Secondary Experiences through Mohawk College (Oshweken Campus)
Registration Forms & More Information
For further information regarding SWAC programs and to obtain a registration form talk to a guidance counselor at your home school.
|St. John’s College||Assumption
Catholic High School
Students requiring transportation to and from SWAC programs and/or afterschool programs may request assistance through the Dual Credit (DC) Teacher. The DC teacher will make the request through the School Board.
SWAC Dual Credit Secondary Teachers
Fanshawe College Simcoe
SWAC Information Sheet
Please click here to view the SWAC Info Sheet.