Code of Conduct
It is the expectation of the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board that Trustees will promote and model
the Catholic values and beliefs of the Board and the Catholic Church.
Trustees are elected to their positions by the Catholic ratepayers and as such should conduct themselves in a manner
which is in keeping with generally-accepted Catholic societal behaviour and in keeping with their responsibilities to an
Policy Goals and Objectives:
To ensure Trustees carry out their elected duties and responsibilities while following a code of behavior which is in
agreement with the traditions of the Catholic teachings, beliefs and values of the Board and of the Church.
Guidelines: The Trustees’ Code of Conduct – A Statement of Board Values and the Responsibilities of Office.
- The Trustees of the Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board will, at all times:
- act in accordance with and in furtherance of the Board’s mission statement;
- encourage school communities to foster and exemplify the values of inclusion, integrity, respect, reconciliation,
love and justice;
- abide by the statutory declaration made when first becoming a trustee to the effect that “I will truly, faithfully, impartially and to the best of my ability execute the office of
board member…” [Education Act, section 209(1)];
- carry out the functions of a trustee in a public manner in meetings of the Board save for in-camera sessions
authorized by the Education Act [section 207 (1) and (2)] and by the by-laws of the Board;
- keep in strict confidence information prepared for, discussed and communicated in any manner which was, is, or will be dealt with in-camera as authorized by the Education Act and by the Board’s By-Laws;
- comply with all statutes and regulations applicable to the Trustees, the Board, and its operations including the
Education Act, the Human Rights Code, the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- conduct themselves in compliance with the Board’s by-laws and with any standards of behaviour the Board
adopts respecting the conduct required of its employees; and
- accept, as a matter of law, that the Board can only act collectively as a unit and that orders or pronouncements of
individual Board members are of no force and effect.
Glossary of Key Policy Terms: N/A
BHNCDSB Board By-Laws
Human Rights Code
Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act