Students who select the “Focus” courses obtain a quality education through increased quality sport training as an area of choice within their educational pathway.
What is a Focus Course?
These courses are open to beginners and advanced players and is intended for students who want to participate in sport-specific skill-development training in order to improve their game and advance their knowledge, skill and fitness to the next level.
These student-athletes gain knowledge in a variety of areas such as:
- setting smart goals;
- the importance of teamwork;
- sports nutrition;
- mental training;
- character building;
- as well as a variety of life skills.
Students not only learn all the necessary developmental skills to play the sport, but they also focus on:
- execution skills such as game sense;
- read and react;
- and the importance of support.
A by-product of this opportunity is to have healthy students who are physically active and enjoy participating in sport.
Focus Course Objectives
The objective of the “Focus” courses is to provide a formal training program within the academic setting of the school with a commitment to excellence in student achievement. Within these courses, the students will:
- Continuously improve their sport-specific skills and physical fitness levels through exposure to a variety of physical activities.
- Be educated and fully aware of the importance of developing a strong character.
- Thrive in an excellent academic environment that will enable them to achieve academic goals as well as enhancing their opportunities to pursue post secondary athletic and/or academic scholarships.
- Receive sports science knowledge including physical fitness, sports nutrition, strength training, sport psychology and mental training by qualified teachers, certified instructors, and/or special guests who are experts in various areas of interest.
Examples of Focus Courses
Focus courses at BHNCDSB include but are not limited to: