Summer School – Reach Ahead (Gr. 7 & 8)
The Reach Ahead program is a face to face experience that involves four (4) full weeks of daily online instruction for grade 7 & 8 students who will be entering grade 9 at one of our BHNCDSB secondary schools.
Reach Ahead will run from July 4, 2022 – July 28, 2022. Attendance is mandatory for all days of the program. Registration opens January 10, 2022 and will close June 17, 2022. *Times/Locations Subject to Change
Brant haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board students complete registration through My Blueprint.
External Grade 8 Students planning to attend one of our BHNCDSB high schools in the fall of 2022 must complete only the registration survey form here.
External Grade 7 Students are not able to participate in the 2022 summer school year as no pre-registration has been completed or confirmed.
BENEFITS of the Program
Look at our Reach Ahead flyer here.
- 4-week credit-bearing course
- Online instruction
- Earn a credit before high school
- Understanding academic expectations
- Healthy active living strategies
- Familiarization of the school layout
- Meeting classmates & making new friends
FAQ & Course Descriptions
- For answers to Frequently Asked Questions please click here.
July 4, 2022 – July 28, 2022 Course Offerings
Grade 9 – Reach Ahead Courses- Online (Available to Grades 7 & 8)
PAF1O – Health & Physical Education – Personal Fitness
BTT1O – Information & communication Technology in Business
GLS1O – General Learning Strategies
AWL1O – Drawing – Visual Arts
Grade 9 – Reach Ahead Courses – Face to Face (Available to Grade 7 & 8)
PAD1O – Health and Physical Education – Outdoor Activities
Grade 10 – Summer School courses (Only Available to Grade 8’s)
CHV2O (1/2 credit) – Civics
GLC2O (1/2 credit) – Careers
CHV2O & GLC2O – Both Civics and Careers
To submit their Summer School courses, students will need to:
- Log in to their accounts through Brightspace (D2L)
- Click on the “Resource” tab
- Scroll down and select myBlueprint
- Click on the Circle with three lines in it at the top left of page
- Click Continuing Education
- Click Explore Courses
- The available courses for summer school will be listed. Click on Submit Course for the course to be taken
- A message of “Accepted” and the course name will appear
PLEASE NOTE: Summer school Reach Ahead online courses will be presented in an online asynchronous format. *
The Physical Education – Outdoor Activities course is face-to-face and requires daily in-person attendance.
*********** *********** ***********
Dates & Attendance
- Daily attendance for all four (4) weeks is required in order to earn this Grade 9 credit
- These are now online courses and attendance is mandatory in order to earn the credit.
- Holidays should not be taken during the duration of the course.
Locations & Hours
- The Reach Ahead online program for Summer 2022 will be held for all four high schools from July 4, 2022 to July 28, 2022.
- The Reach Ahead face-to-face program (Outdoor Activities) will be held at the ACS, HT, and SJC, if enrollment permits from July 4, 2022 to July 28, 2022.
- Holy Trinity Catholic School Bus Schedule – TBD
- Assumption College School / St. John’s College Bus Schedule – TBD
Uniforms / Clothing
Students will not be required to wear a school uniform for any of the Reach Ahead courses.
For those taking the PAF1O Personal Fitness course personal athletic clothing may be needed.
For those taking the PAD1O Outdoor Activities couse personal athletic clothing and a water bottle will be needed.
BHNCDSB Email, Username and Password
All email communication will come through students’ BHNCDSB e-mail account, NOT personal e-mail accounts.
User name and passwords are used for the BHNCDSB online learning platform Desire2Learn (D2L).
Use of D2L is required for the Reach Ahead courses that students are enrolled in.
If students do not know their username and password they should speak to their current grade 8 teacher for this information.
If the teacher is not able to assist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Desire2 Learn (D2L)/ Brightspace Learning Platform
- Access to D2L will not be available until the morning of July 4, 2022 when Summer School opens. It will close at 11:59 pm July 28, 2021.
- When D2L becomes available on July 4, 2022 students will be able to log in to view online courses, explore tools and features, and customize their eLearning experience.
- Students should BOOKMARK/SAVE the D2L link in the event that the BHNCDSB website becomes unavailable.
- If students experience any technical problems while working on an Online Course, for example, the website or course email is not functioning normally, please contact
Withdrawing from Reach Ahead Courses
- If circumstances change and a student is no longer able to/does not wish to participate in the Summer School Reach Ahead program prior to the beginning of summer school please contact:
- If a student is no longer able to/does not wish to participate in the Summer School Reach Ahead program from July 4, 2022 to July 28, 2022, please contact:
St. Mary Catholic Learning Centre
Main Office 519-753-0552
- If the request to withdraw is received prior to the Full Disclosure/Drop Date Tuesday, July 19, 2022, the student’s name will be removed from the eLearning registration list without academic penalty.
- Parental consent is required for removal from a course for all students under the age of 18, so if a student is under the age of 18 a parent must be the one who makes the contact.
* Asynchronous learning happens on your schedule. While your course of study, instructor, or program will provide materials for reading, lectures for viewing, and assignments for completing, you can access and satisfy these requirements on your own schedule, so long as you meet the expected deadlines. Common methods of asynchronous online learning include self-guided lesson modules, pre-recorded video content, virtual libraries, lecture notes, and online discussion boards or social media platforms.
For more information about Reach Ahead during the school year, please contact the Student Success Teacher at your Secondary School:
257 Shellard Lane
Brantford, ON N3T 5L5
128 Evergreen Hill Road
Simcoe, ON N3Y 4N5
SHANNA HANSON 519–429–3600 x105
For more information about Summer School programs.
Please contact the Continuing Education offices at:
Main Office 519-753-0552
DID YOU KNOW?
All BHNCDSB students have the ability to download and use a copy of Microsoft office at home free of charge. Students must also know their BHNCDSB username and password to do the installation. The following link will walk you through how to install it on your computer: