Student Community Service
Community Involvement Guidelines for Diploma Requirements
In order to fulfill the requirements for Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) each student must complete a minimum of 40 hours of Community Involvement.
Community service provides Catholic students a valuable opportunity to respond to the Christian call to serve others, especially those “who are least among us” (Mt 25:35-36, 40), all the while fulfilling their graduation requirements, 40 hours of community service. Alongside learning the teachings and traditions of the Catholic faith, it is vital that students have opportunities to witness their faith by reaching out to help others through Christian service.
Students may complete the requirement at any time starting in the summer before entering grade 9 and preferably finish prior to January of their graduating year. Students may complete one activity of 40 hours or several activities which add up to a 40 hour time commitment. The requirement must be completed outside of the scheduled class time.
- During the lunch hour or spare(s)
- In the evening
- During the summer
- On the weekends
- During school holidays
Students under the age of 18 years should plan and select their activities in consultation with their parents. Early completion of the 40 hours of Community Involvement is strongly recommended.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plans activity with parents/guardians
- Secures placement(s)
- Hands in planning report to principal / principal designate
- Gets involved
- Obtains parent signature upon completion
- Submits documentation to principal designate (Guidance Counsellor)
- Provides assistance in placement selection
- Communicates with the school and placement about concerns
- Signs Notification and Completion forms if student is under 18
THE SECONDARY SCHOOL: (Guidance Counsellor)
- Approves activities before placement
- Receives documentation from student
- Records completed activity on Ontario Student Transcript
- Provides accommodation recommendations for special needs
THE SCHOOL BOARD:
- Provides for student liability coverage
- Provides planning forms through the school
- Provides reporting forms through the school